R Shiny Dashboards¶
Shiny by RStudio is a framework for turning R code into interactive dashboards. On the DataScience.com Platform, Shiny dashboards are deployed in dedicated containers and are accessible through a project’s Outputs page.
Publish a dashboard¶
To publish a Shiny Application, select Publish a Shiny App from the actions menu in the upper right of the page and enter the following information to complete configuration:
- Name and description: Enter your app’s name (limit 55 characters) and description (limit 140 characters). These will be displayed on the project’s Output page to help users find your app.
- Branch and App Path: See Running a Directory below for more information.
- Compute Resource: Select the size of the hardware where your app will be hosted.
- Environment and Additional Requirements: Determine the environment and any additional dependencies that are needed for your app to run.
- Commit message: Enter a short message to help identify this version of the app.
Running a Directory¶
Shiny dashboards are served out of a directory in your project that contains all the files the dashboard needs to run.
To deploy a Shiny dashboard, specify a folder in your project with all
of your Shiny app code, including the dashboard’s entry-point file. Use
app.R for this entry-point file, which is where the
core logic of the app lives. You may use a single entry-point file to
build your dashboard or break it out into
You must specify a directory, not a .R file when publishing a Shiny dashboard. Your dashboard won’t have access to any files or folders higher in the project tree than the one you specified when publishing.
You can publish a new version of an existing dashboard by visiting that dashboard’s page on the Outputs tab, then clicking the New App Version button on left menu panel. In this form, you can enter a new directory for your app code and include a message to let teammates know what changed.
View and manage a dashboard¶
Shiny dashboards are viewable through the project Outputs tab. From this page, you can browse, publish, and delete versions of a dashboard. To share a dashboard in full-screen mode, use the Open in a new tab option above the dashboard content.
To share a link to a Shiny dashboard with a teammate, first invite them to the project.
You can find the deployed status of a dashboard under the versions
menu on the left panel. Your dashboard is healthy
when its status, shown just below the dasboard, is
In Progress: Running. If your application code has
errors, the version status will change to
In Progress: Error.
You can delete versions of your dashboard by selecting More Options on the left panel and clicking on the Delete button. Deleting the last version of a dashboard deletes the entire dashboard page.